1 vegan pie crust (most are vegan at stores)
3 stalks of scallion (use all)
small/medium regular onion
7 small button mushrooms
2 wedges of a garlic knot
1 cup frozen spinach or kale
1 package Tofu extra firm
2 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
1 TBSP Tahini
1 cup (loose packed) Daiya Cheddar Shreds / divided
1/2 cup almond milk (can use soy)
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 TBSP olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
* Food processor or blender
1. Cut regular onion in small pieces
2. Chop off bottom of scallion and small part of tops and cut into small pieces, use all of the white and green
3. Heat olive oil in skillet
4. Fry onion and scallions, add salt and pepper
5. Cut garlic into the smallest pieces you can and add to skillet
6. Open tofu and squeeze the block as much as you can to release as much moisture as possible. I squeeze mine about 6 times, Crumble loosely in food processor
7. Get out the pie crust and let sit until step 12
8. Chop mushrooms into small pieces and add to skillet
9. Add tahini , nutritional flakes, Italian seasoning, celery salt, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup off Daiya cheese, and almond milk, process until looks well blended but NOT runny liquid. Pour into a mixing bowl, scraping sides to keep as much as you can
10. Add frozen spinach or kale to skillet
11. Once spinach or kale is cooked into the onion / mushroom mixture, dump it all into the mixing bowl with blended tofu. Mix with spoon to evenly distribute the onion/mushroom/spinach mixture.
12. Unroll the pie crust and put into a pie crust, pour mixture on top of the pie crust. Add the rest of the Daiya cheese on top, roll sides of pie crust up towards the middle of pie. Salt and pepper over cheese.
13. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. The crust needs to be darker golden brown but definitely not burnt. The longer you can cook it , the better the mixture seems to taste.
14. Let sit 15 minutes before cutting, it will be hot still!!
Make a double batch and freeze them individually or 2 in one freezer bag for quick meals! These taste really good from the freezer too. I love quiche and I finally think this tastes like the real egg version!! I tried the eggless powder substitute and it just didn’t work out at all.
Change it up and make it with red and green peppers instead of spinach or kale. Yum!!!